Small Exterior Fire, Started In Planter
09/02/2013 - 10:45 AM
A fire caused damage to the exterior of a home on Saturday near Voyager Street.
Neighbors noticed the flames on the vinyl siding and acted quickly, alerting the home owner who was unaware of the fire and inside the home at the time with two small children. The three occupants escaped unharmed.
Two fire extinguishers and a garden hose were used to put out the fire and keep the damage to the outside of the home.
St. Cloud Fire Marshal, Michael Post believes the origin of the fire to be the planter located on the deck.
Potting soil can contain peat moss as well as other fertilizers that can act as oxidizers and feed a fire. Dried out peat can heat up enough in hot weather, igniting itself like a hay bale.
To avoid planter fires move old planters away from your home and garage to dispose of dried potting soil and dead plants. Never use a planter as an ashtray, peat can smolder for days then burst into flames.
vs California State University (Webstream)
Mar 08, 2014 - 3:30
vs Northern State University (Webstream)
Mar 09, 2014 - 5:00
vs Bemidji State University (Webstream)
Mar 11, 2014 - 6:00
Subscribe to what interests you. More information about podcasts and software.